A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Book Review – Sewing Pottery by Machine by Barbara Warholic


This book, like “It’s a Wrap II”, took me to an even higher level of skill and potential.  I have always loved pottery, and even aspired to becoming a potter in my younger years.  But I found that making clay pots took a skill set I didn’t possess, and I had pretty much given up on that dream until I bought this book.  The author gives detailed instructions on how to create several pottery shapes, and it is now possible for me to make “pottery” with cord and fabric that look much better than any of the feeble attempts I made at creating pottery with clay back in my youth!  Here are some of the pieces I have made using Warholic’s instructions:
Jar with Lip

Round Bowl with Leaves and Medallions

Seed Pot

Indian Pot with Leather and Bead Embellishments
Oval Bowl with Leather and Fabric Medallion

Each of these vessels are made of multiple components, and sewn together by hand to create pots or vases. I highly recommend this book for those of you who, like me, love the “pottery” look and want to transform fabric and cord into eye-catching home décor accessories!

6 comments:

  1. That's the book I bought and found a few days ago in the boxes. I am determined to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the round bowl with leaves allot!
    Mahalo for the review of Barbara Warholic's book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this book - it has helped me to go way beyond where I thought I could with this technique, and continues to be an important resource for my bowl and vessel making! And thank you for your comment about the bowl with leaves... one of my favorites!

      Delete
  3. Sigh! I had these two books before the flood........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! One of my FiberWorks group is going to lead a workshop for us. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.