A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Work space

Where to Work?


Dyeing with Rust is a messy process. While you can do it indoors, just remember, rust can and will stain almost of anything.

Here is a view of my rust dyeing area.  This is just outside the back door of my studio and consist of 15 feet of counter space.  The counters are made by stacking cinder blocks 4 high and topped off with plastic shelving from a storage shelf.  I've used left over tile as a non porous  surface.  I can easily clean these tiles using a rust remover product.

My rust dyeing area


Now not everyone will become a rust fanatic like me, so here are a few ideas for setting up a work space:

  •     Consider setting up a temporary work space, which we will also take a look at.

  •     Use a small folding table raised up with bed risers.

  •     Cover the table with upholstery vinyl or plastic to protect it.

  •     If needed, you could set up a second table, or maybe a few folding TV tables.

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned "I can easily clean these tiles using a rust remover product." What would those products be and where would I find them? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking this question. I'd intended to go out and check mine and post a link, but forgot.

    I like this product best: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/krud-kutter/rust-remedies/the-must-for-rust-rust-remover-and-inhibitor

    You should be able to find it at any hardware store or the big box stores.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.