A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

To Art Quilting and Beyond - Week 1/Part 2

Several hand soakings and several aspirin later.....

I added on the top corner fabric today. It is a purple (what else) swirly fabric which does fit in well with my circle concept. I used a embroidery floss that went well with it and started out following the curves of the pattern but not overly exact about it. I do think it made an interesting pattern though and absolutely created some texture.



Part of this experiment for me is becoming very interesting. After doing this piece on the corner, I actually reached some kind of Zen state with the whole thing. That and I'm really catching up on a bunch of movies and TV shows I have wanted to watch. The weird thing is I almost felt decadent just sitting and quilting and watching TV. Was I working? Yes. But it quickly didn't feel like it. I'll have to give that one some thought. Please chime in if you have any insight!

What has working without electricity been like for you? Different than you thought? 

6 comments:

  1. strict interpretation of the "no electricity" rule would include the TV, don't you think? have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought "Oh, the stitches are lost in the fabric print" but now I see you are right - - oh so much wonderful texture! It would probably limit some of that great texture but I recently decided to use an embroidery hoop and it really saved my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Kathleen!! I actually had not even considered that part of it! BUSTED!! Now I guess I'll also have to fuel up my kerosene lamps! Argh! This is harder than I thought!
    Thanks Beth! I appreciate the feedback!
    Ann...I had that reaction when I first did it as well but the way it ended up I'm very happy with. Odd but my hands get more tired when I use a hoop. I must be doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly -- try quilting without a hoop. especially on a small piece like this I think you will find it much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen - Most stitching like this I have done previously, I used a hoop. This time I'm not and I have found that, for me, it works better. And for this project, it gives the look I wanted as well.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.