A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Turn At Dye Painting

Well, it took me the whole month but I finally got a chance to try dye painting.




 Here is the picture of the daylily that was an  influence for the first picture and here are some progress pictures.  I used a yard of fabric ripped into 4 pieces.  I drew an outline using charcoal because I thought it would wash out nicely.




And here is the fabric washed out, dried, and ironed.
I tried a second floral picture.
 
I thought I would love this technique but not so much.  That was not the technique's fault but my choice of subject.  I tried painting in a more realistic style and I don't like the constraint of doing that.  I made a bad choice.  Since  I was tired of trying to draw pictures  I just dumped the dye out of my little containers and just spread it around.  Frankly,  I can only handle trying to be controlled and close to reality for so long before I have to rebel.   I liked the result so much that I spread a second piece of fabric on top of it and to make a print of the original.  Here they are.
THAT IS MORE LIKE IT!

7 comments:

  1. I like all your "paintings," but you KNOW my favorites are the abstracts! I may have to use this "method" for my own leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think with some thread work the flowers might sharpen BUT you've got to love it. Is it the subject?? I DO love the last piece - very jazzy and cool. I'd love to see that quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh love love these - I do a lily piece yearly and have been thinking about next years (since I usually start in Jan/Feb) I want to try some thicken dye painting - how did you mix yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your paintings but I really like the abstracts. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand where you're coming from! I painted for several years, and did like to replicate using photos, but I have loosened up considerably over the years, and now prefer abstract in most cases. What I like about thickened dyes is I can control their flow more than unthickened, which we all know loves to bleed and travel. Sometimes that's what I want, but not always. So using the thickener is a nice option, don't you think? Nice job, on all counts! It's good to venture outside of our comfort zone occasionally to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love both of your floral pictures--if you really don't want to finish up with some thread work, send them to me and I'd be happy to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of these are beautiful -- I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.